Thursday, September 29, 2011

That was Scary

I had a little scare Monday, Sept. 26, 2011.

It all started Sunday night when I had some itching on my hands and scalp.  I wasn't worried that happens all the time. 

I went to bed, slept until about 3:30 A.M. when I woke up with violent itching.  I got up to look for some Benadryl only to discover we didn't have any other than the spray and cream kind.  No pills!  I used some of the spray and cream but it only seemed to make everything worse.  I went back to bed.

I woke up again around 6:30.  There was noticeable swelling in my hands, and large welts around my waist, bra line, back, and arms, but I thought once Walgreen's opened and I was able to get Benadryl pills all would be fine.  I mean I am always having odd reactions to things.

By the time Walgreen's opened my hands were a little bigger, but not so much as to cause me distress.  I bought the Bendryl, and then drove to work, it took me about 15 minutes.  By the time I walked into the building and my office, my hands were so big that I couldn't open the package, my boss did that for me.  I still wasn't worried because I thought I would take the Benadryl and all would be well. 

I started my work day with my usual Monday morning routine, but my hands continued to swell.  In fact they were swelling to the point that the skin on my fingers started breaking open.  It was at that point I felt like other parts of my body were not right.  Namely my ears. 

A friend walked into the office and was quite shocked.  She suggested that she take me to the hospital, but I said that I would be okay once the Benadryl kicked in and kept working. 

It wasn't more than 10 minutes before I realized that my lips were tingling.  My friend came back and said she wanted to take me to the hospital.  I still refused.  More and more people were coming into my office and saying you need to go to the hospital.  I continued to say "no."

I went into the bathroom and looked at my ears. One was quite large.  I still wasn't too concerned.

As I kept working, my hands continued to swell, as did my ears, and the welts were getting worse.  My friend once again said "Let me take you to the hospital."  I decided to call my doctor instead.  They said to come right in, so my friend and I took off for the doctor's office. 

As we were driving down the road, I felt my face getting bigger.  I asked my friend and she said "Yes, it is getting bigger."  I said should I look in the mirror and she said she "didn't think it would be a good idea." 

When we arrived at the doctor's office there was no wait.  I was to see the Physician's Assistant, a woman I just adore. While waiting for the PA, the nurse asked me some questions.  As I was answering the questions more and more welts were coming up on my arms and legs.  The nurse said I was making her itch. When the PA came it she was obviously trying not to react to how I looked.  She asked me some questions about my change in routine, and then listened to my lungs, asked about my breathing and said she was giving a large dose of steroids and prescribing a steroid pack.  I said okay.  I was still swelling and welting at that point.  I told her I hadn't looked in the mirror lately but was told it was not pretty.  She told me she would not have recognized me, and I probably would not want to look in a mirror yet.
The nurse came back in and gave me a shot in my upper backside.  After she gave me the shot she said "Oh, you are bleeding.  People don't usually bleed from a shot there."   There were a few awkward moments while she held pressure.  I had to tell her that I tend to bleed.  (Just ask Loni.)

The PA came back in and listened to my lungs again, and took my oxygen level.  Gave me instructions, and then told me to go home.  I informed her I had to go back to work as we had a very important deadline to meet.  She said she thought I should go home.  I then told her I would be alone at home. She said go to work, so that if I had breathing issues someone would know.  

My friend took me to Target to drop off my prescription, and then back to work.  I continued to swell throughout the day, even though I had the shot and 2 doses of Benadryl.  

After work I went home to the couch.  I took a short nap and when I woke up the swelling started to go down in my hands.  That was quite painful.  Don't know why it was that painful, the the decrease in swelling hurt a heck of a lot more than the increased swelling.  

Loni came home and made me a can of soup I wanted, and I had a PB&J sandwich.  We watched television and I continued to dose myself with Benadryl.  Once I hit the bed, I was out.  

I woke up Tues. morning with my hands normal, my ears almost normal, but I had welts on my eyelids (which I did not have before) and welts all over my legs.  I still itched, but not as bad.  I had to put band aids all over my hands where my skin was opened and I took another dose of Benadryl before going to the office.  

I still have a weak feeling in my chest, and welts pop up once in a while, but I think I am on the mend.  

It was scary, but I had lots of people looking out for me, so I feel very blessed.


3 comments:

Deborah said...

That is *very* scary. I'm glad you are better, but the big question is WHAT caused this?

Unknown said...

I hope that you are doing better now. Did you use/try something different? It definitely sounded like some sort of allergic reaction.

Hope you are feeling better; will see you this weekend. Take care.

Love you!

Loni said...

Yes, I am very glad you are on the mend and grateful that we are both blessed to have so many watching out for us both.