Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dinner and a Movie

Sunday, I manned the bake sale for a community event put on by the church where I work. We had a petting zoo, pony cart rides, slushees, fall wreath activity table, fire hose fun, live music, prize drawings, and the bake sale to benefit the local animal shelter, and HEAT!

It was a very warm day.  Not 110 degrees, but mid 90's and where I was sitting, no breeze.  I was there for three hours, and even though I tried to drink lots of water, it wasn't enough.  By the time I got home, I was miserable and recognized a fibromyalgia attack coming on. 

To help me celebrate the completion of an event that I have been working on for so many months, Loni took me out to dinner and to a movie. 

We ate at Mimi's Cafe where I had the Asian sampler.  I know it is weird thing to choose at a place like Mimi's, but they do an excellent job with this dish and it doesn't cause me any digestion issues.  You just have to remember to eat the pot stickers before they get cold.  Loni had a grilled cheese and corn chowder.

After dinner it was on to the movies. We went to see "The Help."  I read the book, but held off on seeing the movie until I talked to enough people that had read the book and seen the movie to know  the movie held true enough to the book as to not ruin the experience.  It is an wonderful movie.  The acting was outstanding! Bryce Dallas Howard played the perfect Hilly, and Emma Stone has a talent for making subtle little movements that really express her characters emotions without speaking.  You could see the movie and skip the book, but that would almost be a criminal act because in the book you  get to know all the characters well enough that you can feel their experiences.  The movie would have to be several hours longer to allow that same experience as the book, but the actors could have pulled it off.  

Dinner and a movie were the perfect way to unwind, and I am so glad I was able to see "The Help."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that the bake sale went well. Hope that you get acknowledged for all your efforts.

Very sweet of L to take you out to celebrate the completion of the event. Your boss is lucky to have you working for her.