Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wow I Know a Lot of Great Teenagers

I have wonderful boys.  One of the benefits of having wonderful boys is getting to know the wonderful people they know. 

This evening I had the pleasure of experiencing how special two of my youngest's friends are and it was such a delight.

I had a call this afternoon from a friend of my youngest.  He asked me if I could arrive at their house at 5:00 as it was his mother's (my friend, Laura) birthday.  Now I have tried forever to get Laura to tell me her birthday and she never would.  I told him I would be happy to be there to celebrate with them.

When I arrived at 5:00, my friend Kathy was already there.  It was just Laura, her husband and two boys, Kathy and myself.  Which was just perfect because Laura is not the type of person that would have enjoyed a big surprise party.  

As Laura, Kathy and I sat around talking, her two sons, one a high school senior and the other in eighth grade, prepared the table. The boys had made each of us a beautiful bowl of salad, and then offered us shredded grilled chicken for a topping.   They had also poured us all a glass of a strawberry drink.  After the salads there was a sampler tray from On the Border, followed by a chocolate cake from Kathy.  

Laura opened her gifts after dinner.  I gave her a gift card to buy embroidery thread for her new sewing machine, Kathy gave her a horse book, a drawstring bag she had made Laura, the leftover fabric from the bag, and some paper/fabric crafted bookmarks. Her family gave her a beautiful horse book, and drawing/painting books on horses. Laura is currently working on a canvas of horses, and needed more details about their muscles.  

It was a very pleasant time, completely arranged by her two amazing sons.  I am so blessed to know these teenagers and they family. 

3 comments:

Loni said...

Such great kids! I am glad that Mom was happy and not too overwhelmed by the surprise.

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful evening; very thoughtful young men. I'm sure that Laura enjoyed her surprise.

Deborah said...

So you're telling me there's hope for my two boys! yea!!