Friday, September 30, 2011

Proud of Myself

Tonight I felt like I had been unfairly personally attacked during a meeting.  My first reaction was to get up and walk out, but since I was there specifically to support a friend, I stayed and performed the task I had been assigned.  I stayed, but I was MAD!

During the few minutes in the meeting where I could let my mind roam, I thought about how I should handle the situation.  Since I have a very fun weekend planned, I didn't want to ruin my weekend dwelling over what had happened.  I wanted to deal with the situation tonight.  

The meeting ran until after 10:00 P.M.  I waited until most everyone had left the building, but when there were still witnesses to what I wanted to say, I confronted the person that had made a the statement that felt like an attack.  It felt good. 

I made sure that the people that were still there understood why I was so upset:
  • I felt there was no need for the comment to have been made directly to me, singling me out over the other 11 people in the room.
  • I was totally embarrassed in front of people that do not know me and might have gone away with an impression of me that I did not deserve.
  • I also stated that this was not the first time this person had accused me of this act, and that I wanted to know when I had ever done what they suggested.
Of course, the person I confronted assured me that I misunderstood what they meant. The witnesses said they did not take the statement the way I did, and they would never think that about me.  I asked them what the other people at the meeting that did not know me might think and they gave me a lot of fluff.

I said no matter what, I was not leaving without having my say so that I could enjoy my weekend.  

When I arrived home I called someone that was at the meeting.  I told them what I did.  They stated that they totally felt that I had been called on the carpet when it happened and did not understand why that happened and that they were embarrassed for me.  

That validation made me feel even better about what I did.  Now I can put it behind me and move on. 

I am very proud of myself.

2 comments:

Loni said...

I am proud of you too. Count it as a big win for the week.

Laurie said...

Good for you. Now you can enjoy the weekend without laying in bed wishing you would have said this or that! I'm glad you got validation for your concern. I hate it when people say things and then "oh you took it wrong".