Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Gave Myself A Great Gift

When Raymond first got sick several doctors told us it was his back and that the best thing he could do was exercise in a pool, so we put in a pool. Not a small play pool, but a pool that is 40x22 feet. Of course, it was not his back, and he never got to use the pool very much after it was in. He was able to swim some after his amputation, he even made himself a special bench so he could get in etc, but he was getting chemo almost constantly and had a port or line that kept him from swimming a great deal of the time.

Anyone that has a pool knows that it requires a lot of maintenance. Raymond was never able to actually work on the pool once he got sick, so all the work has fallen on me or the boys. We have had several problems over the years and I have had them all fixed, but it seemed that every time I found a great pool maintenance man, he would quit the business or move. I have never had a cleaning/chemical service.

Since this is probably the last summer that the boys will be here without jobs, etc., I decided that I did not want to do anything with the pool but go out there and jump in whenever I wanted. So I started checking around and I found a pool service on a local online forum. I called the man and he came out immediately. He is a wonderful man who has been in the business for over 20 years, but has just recently moved to Texas.

He has been out and cleaned my pool to where it is spotless. He found a few issues with my equipment and I called a man he recommended to look at the problems (how nice that I did not have to find someone myself). I found out my 11 year old gas heater was actually dangerous due to some internal problems, so I will have a new heater installed Saturday.

I am so excited about the pool this summer. All we will need to do before we swim is empty the skimmers and look for wildlife. YEAH! The boys are happy because they won't have to spend so much time working on the pool each week.

This was a huge decision for me because it added to my financial burden, but I cannot begin to express how excited I am about the summer now.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Good for you!! I am so jealous that you have a pool! But I grew up with one and remember the maintenance you speak of.

Enjoy every minute you lounge or swim this summer.

Loni said...

I am so proud of you for giving this gift to yourself. Your pool is beautiful and I hope you enjoy it quite a bit this summer.