Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Just Like the Good Old Hot Days

The air conditioning is out on the living room side of our home, and in my office at work. It is really hot. It reminds me of my early childhood.

We did not have air conditioning in our home when I was young. My dad was a carpenter/contractor and always built our homes. The second home I can remember living in was a 2 story house in Dayton, Ohio and dad had put all the duct work etc. in for a/c but it was a while before we actually got one, but I don't know why.

On really, really hot nights we slept downstairs. It wasn't a basement, just a downstairs but it was always cooler. I don't remember the heat bothering dad, but mom would not be able to sleep and she would take me downstairs and push to chairs together for my bed. Then she would set up fans, and sleep on the couch. Sometimes dad would come down, and there was a foam mattress for him. I don't remember how my brother slept. After a year or so of living in the house we got air conditioning.

We are fortunate today because we have a/c in the bedrooms, but the living room side of the house is running about 87 or so with the fans. My office is pretty miserable, but I've been able to work by going into the other side of the church with the a/c when I can't take it any more.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God is molding you into a multi faceted diamond!! :-)