Friday, June 27, 2008

Can You Be Depressed While on an Antidepresssant?

I really thought everything was going okay with the new dose and the scheduling of my antidepressant until Mom went into the nursing home. Now, I'm not so sure.

All I want to do before going there is sleep and when I get home from there all I want to do is sleep. Everyone keeps telling me that I do not need to go every day, but yes I do. I need to make sure she is okay.

Fortunately she is being very well taken care of and is actually starting to take herself around in her wheelchair.

I just do not do well without some type of long term plan, and there is no plan where she is concerned. Each day something new comes up. Today when we got there she had taken everything out of her closet and had it ready to go because she was moving "tomorrow" to go live with her mother.

This is not how she was suppose to end up. She should still be out having fun with her friends and enjoying her life.

I'm definitely depressed. I think I will go to sleep.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I, too, am on an antidepressant -- have been for a long time. I also asked for an increase just after I put my dad in the nursing home. And, just like you, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Doing it all on your own is very, very difficult. Antidepressants help, but with what's gone on in your life recently (like in mine), there will be some time when you are just down. If you want to sleep, do so. Just don't let that take over.

This too will pass, but you have to take time to mourn the loss of what your mom's live could have been like at this point.

I can empathize.