Monday, June 16, 2008

Great Night!

We went to see the Might Marvelous Four tonight at an outdoor concert. Our good friend, J, went with us and we were all ready to have a good night of music, quilting (me), comic game (the boys and J).

Soon after we sat down, I noticed this very slow walking man with a chair coming up the sidewalk, and I do mean slow walking. As I started looking around, I noticed that there was a group of adults sitting together, and that all of them seemed to have some challenge in their life.

I then looked around and noticed that the slow walking man had kept on walking past the group. I kept an eye on him because I was afraid he might belong to the group and then get lost. It wasn't long before the leader of the group noticed him and brought him back to the group. They stopped behind us and had a conversation and I heard her tell him she would have to "find out where it was." I asked her if they needed the bathroom. She said "yes" and I told her my oldest knew where it was. I asked him to tell them, but I could tell that it might be a challenge for the man to find the location in the crowd, so I asked the oldest to take him.

It turned out to be a trip to the bathroom that took well over an hour, but it was an hour that probably changed all of our lives. Daniel, or Danny, is a wonderful man that had been in an accident and was in a coma for 8 months. He had many injuries. He found it amazing that they had replaced his knee while he was in the coma. His father died while he was in the coma and his whole life changed. Danny was born in 1966.

Danny's biggest joy is giving out pennies. He gave all of us pennies for luck. He told us that he gave a penny to one lady and she won $20,000.00. His house mother said she played the lottery one night after he told her it was her lucky day and gave her a penny and she won $295.00. We promised Danny we would try our hand at the lottery tonight. I also promised that if we won I would send my oldest back to Europe for a vacation. (Evidently they changed life stories in that hour long walk.)

When we left the concert we went to play the lottery. Both boys won $5.00 with the scratch offs I bought them. (broke even there) Now I am waiting for the numbers to be drawn for my cards.

Danny changed all of our lives tonight with good music playing in the background. I am so glad that we had a chance to meet him. I'll never see a penny again without thinking of him and lessons he taught by boys tonight. One lesson was what can happen if you drive around loaded with cocaine or any other drug. Danny was very open about things he did that he should not have and he told my boys that they should never do drugs. He praised them for doing well in school and told them to stay in school and continue to make high marks.

Danny is a very special man, and he blessed our lives tonight by sharing his time with us.

1 comment:

journeyinfinite said...

I am so glad you blogged about Danny! What a meaningful connection he was able to establish with us :-)