Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Just Because I Can, Doesn't Mean I Will

An acquaintance became very angry with me this past weekend because I did not answer his text in what he considered a timely manner.  This has made me even angrier.

Why is it that everyone seems to want an instant reply these days?  Yes, I saw his text.  His text was a statement, not a question, or anything else that needed a reply.  I was with friends, and saw no reason to give a reply.  I had a fabulous day with my friends and then just as I was getting ready to send him a text saying I hoped he had a decent day, I received a blast from him in a FB message telling me that he was upset I didn't reply to his text with at least a "not now," and he was never texting me again.  Excuse me?  

This person lives across the country from me.  He doesn't have a clue as to what I am doing during the day, or if my phone is even charged. What makes him think he has the right to blast me? 

I have noticed more and more that people want instant answers and get upset when they don't get them.  I have no phone signal in my office.  Sometimes my text messages won't show up until I leave for the day, but people will be calling me five minutes after they send me a text saying "Well, why didn't you answer me?"  My answer is usually "What are you talking about?"  

Even if my phone has a full signal and I get the text when it is sent, where are the written rules saying how long I have to answer the text?  Evidently there are many blogs and sites that give response time etiquette.  I like this one: "Text Message: IF the message needs a response, a few hours to 12 hours is normal.  A day is pretty long, longer should only be because your phone is dead, lost, no service."


Most of the texting etiquette I read said you should respond the same day.  I was going to answer him, and it would have been less than 12 hours. 

My answer to him was that I had a great day, he wasn't going to "guilt" me over not answering a statement that did not require an answer, and that I pretty much didn't care whether we texted again.

Quite frankly, I don't have time in my life for someone that is going to be that demanding.  

If I text someone on a time sensitive issue and I do not get a response that allows me to deal with the issue, then I make a phone call.  No big deal. 

My boss and I communicate by text after hours and on weekends when there is a situation that needs taken care of immediately.  I prefer that to phone calls because the matter can be handled quickly and efficiently as we can stay on task. Phone calls can get off track and you can end up spending a lot of time working in your off hours.  However, if she sends a text and I don't reply in a time frame acceptable for the issue, she will call my house or cell, knowing if I don't answer, I am truly not available at that time.  Is that written down some where?  No, it is just common sense. 

So if you text me, and I don't reply, wait for it.  If you must have an immediate reply, then call.You could email, but I am just going to read your email on my phone, and if I don't feel you need an immediate response, you are not going to get one, so maybe you should just call first. 


No comments: