Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

OK, I may be the one of the last female readers in the United States to read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  I read the description of the book when it came out but it just didn't catch my interest.  It was not until I saw the previews for the movie that I decided to download a sample to my Kindle.

I read the sample, downloaded the book, and then did not get off the couch all day Sunday until I finished the book.  It really was a great read.  I hope the movie does it justice.

The book made me think back to a friend I had in elementary school whose parents had "Help."  I was never comfortable being waited on by their "Help."  I used to sit at the breakfast table with the family and wonder why they were telling this woman to pour me some more milk when I was perfectly capable of getting up and walking over the refrigerator on my own.

I look forward to reading more of Ms. Stockett's books.




No comments: