Friday, August 19, 2011

Tired But Worth It

I was up to 4:00 A.M. this morning spending time with one of my favorite college boys.  He will be leaving Monday and wanted some time with one of his extra moms.  I am so proud to be one of those extra moms. (I hope we didn't keep waking Loni up, there was a lot of laughter in the wee hours of the morning.)

This is a bittersweet time for both of us.  He will graduate in May and then move forward in life, and neither of us know what that means.  

I am watching all the 21 year olds struggle with that fine line between still being school boys with all the insecurities and freedom that brings and stepping over that line into adulthood and all the accompanying responsibilities.  

I know they will all do well in life, it is just hard to watch them with this transition.  I want to protect them forever.  

Tonight should be fun.  Last spring I told my Butler boy I would have a drink with him this summer.  Tonight is the night.  We are going as a group to Saltgrass for dinner and a Texas Tea.  We already have 3 designated drivers because I told him I would not go if either of us had to drive afterwards.  Their Texas Teas are 22 ounces.  I never have one without a driver.

I am going to miss all of them this semester. I am already looking forward to Christmas when they will all be home again, including Army boy.


1 comment:

Loni said...

The College Boys are quite interesting as a group. A very nice bunch of young men.