Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Television Obsession

I can't help the fact that I love to watch television, and I like a variety of different shows just like I like to read a variety of different styles of books. I don't have a huge fancy television, cable, lots of speakers or anything that costs a lot of money.  I just like to be entertained.

Television doesn't rule my life, and I don't have it on all the time.  It is nice to have on as background noise when I am quilting, unless I am doing something that requires a lot of concentration.  I like to watch my shows to unwind in the evening.  

I enjoy watching Survivor with Loni and Mina and having discussions about the different people.  I like good police shows, lawyer and medical dramas, some reality shows - usually the people have to be challenged in some way for me to enjoy the show - like Survivor, Love in the Wild, Expedition Impossible, etc.   The Voice and American Idol are favorites too. I tape Young and the Restless everyday.  Seventh Heaven and other corny family shows are also favorites of mine.
I record most of the shows I watch so I can skip through the boring parts, or the people I don't like to watch perform.  

Since I don't have cable, I watch a lot of shows through the internet and Netflix.  Yesterday, I was working around the house, and then found a job that required a lot of sitting in one place.  I turned on Netflix for something different and found "Switched at Birth."  Well, one episode and I was hooked.  I watched episodes 1 and 2 and then went to do another job.  I would work really hard for about an hour and then I would reward myself with another episode.  Once I had completed all the tasks I had on my list for the day, I sat down and watched all the available episodes. It is just the kind of show I can really fall in love with.  Lots of characters with different stuff going on with each of them - a great saga.   I love to read sagas and I love to watch them so there you go, I am hooked.  

The only problem I had with "Switched at Birth" was that I couldn't hand quilt and watch it.  Lots of shows I can just listen to, but since several of the characters in the show are deaf, there are places you have to read the dialogue. I found myself having to drop my quilting and take the tape back so I could catch up.  Finally, I just decided to enjoy the show.  

I can't wait until the next season.  In the meantime I can stay busy with Survivor, The Closer, Psych, Drop Dead Diva, Project Runway (Loni just hooked me on to this one), and all my other favs that are coming back.  I sure hope they have at least one good comedy this season.  My lineup lacks comedy.

 

No comments: