Saturday, March 1, 2008

Another Responsibility

Mom is sick. I just realized that if she is sick that is another responsibility.

It is bad enough when the boys are sick and I am worried about them, but now I have someone in my house that will be 86 years old in 5 days. Sick in someone that old is different than sick for a 14 year old.

She is already on so many medications, how do I know which OTC cold stuff works for her?

What if I walk in and find her dead? She refuses to discuss her funeral arrangements. She will not will her body to science. She owns a cemetery plot, but it is Kentucky next to her first born. She can't even remember what state she currently lives in but wants to be buried here.

Not going to happen. Cremation. I've told her over and over again that if she doesn't make any final arrangements she will be cremated and the remains will go to my brother since has my dad's ashes.

These are the thoughts that run through my mind when I hear her coughing and I start wondering about how I can help her.

Sometimes it is enough to make me want to go back to the days when I did not know what the word responsibility meant.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I know what you mean about being responsible for other people. My dad is mentally ill and I'm doing all I can to help my mom help him. I empathize with you and all that you are going through. I feel like we're sisters in our experiences. Hang in there. The Lord is with you.

Cheryl said...

Mental illness is tough.

We are sisters in our experience. What is shocking is just how many siblings we have.

Stay strong.

God bless.