Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Have a Social Life

I spent some time with my brother while we were waiting for our mother to get out of surgery. We hardly ever spend any time together. He is nine years older than I am and has lived in California most of my adult life.

My brother was asking me about when I was going to get a social life. I told him I had a social life. I spend as much time with my friends as I can. Then he said I was too young to not have a social life and I should try an internet dating service. The light bulb clicked on for me then - “social life” meant dating.

I told him I was not interested, but he told me I should think about dating soon.

I really am not interested in dating, but if I was I think this would be what I would be looking for in a man (in no particular order):

  • Able to do multiple types of home repair, including electrical and plumbing
  • Lots of siblings he gets along with, parents nearby if they are pleasant and not meddling, far away if they are not pleasant
  • A reader
  • Fisherman that is not into boats
  • If he was married before and had a bitter divorce (wife’s fault), then any children from the marriage would need to be grown. If there are small children, then he would need to be a widower or on excellent terms with the ex-wife.
  • Good job with health insurance
  • Not a hunter
  • Willing to live in my house (unless he has a nicer one on more property)
  • Able to fix my computer when it is not working
  • Willing to help clean the house and do laundry
  • Not a big traveler.
  • An independent or democrat (NOT REPUBLICAN)
  • Non-Smoker
  • Not jealous of the male friends I have already
  • Not jealous of me having lunch or dinner with the girls
  • Must like my friends, or at least not speak ill of them and make himself disappear when they are around
  • Willing to understand that sometimes I just like to rant and rave, it doesn’t always have to mean anything.
  • Dark hair, bald is okay, but not a blonde.
  • Taller than me, but that does not take much
  • Healthy
  • It would be nice if he could use a barbeque grill
  • Must have a hobby, and must support my hobbies
  • Must appreciate art, and like to go to museums
  • Not into spending money on home theater equipment or other expensive toys
  • Does not have to like my tv shows, but should be willing to sit in the room with me sometimes and read or work on a hobby while keeping me company
  • Must keep up with current events and be able to discuss them with me
  • Must appreciate my mind

and this is just a partial list.

I’m not sure I will ever find another man that fits my criteria, but that is okay, I am satisfied with my social life.

No comments: