Saturday, March 1, 2008

Celebrity Death Beeper and Other Such Sites

Okay, here is a weird fact about me ... I have been fascinated with celebrity deaths since I was in middle school. I keep up with http://www.deathbeeper.com/ ; http://www.wa-wd.com/and http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/.

I used to read the regular obituaries too, even when I first moved to Texas and did not know anyone other than Raymond. It was usually the first thing I read every morning. Funny thing about that is I stopped reading the regular obits when Raymond was diagnosed with cancer, but not the celebrity ones.

I think this fascination with obituaries came from the fact that whenever my Aunt Beulah was around she would sit and read the obituaries to me over breakfast and then, if the obit did not give out the cause of death, she would try to guess what killed the person. Sometimes she could get rather graphic, but the graphic words about the obituaries was much better over breakfast than lunch when she would describe what she had deposited into the toilet after breakfast. My brother and I can still recall some of those descriptions, but I digress into territories no one really wants to know about.

Even though Aunt Beulah's visits were not that often, the reading of the obituaries stayed with me. I never try to guess what killed someone, but I always look to see what memorials are mentioned to see if that offers a clue.

The celebrity death thing always reminds me of being at my parents and how they would be watching an old movie and trying to guess if any of the actors were still alive. It drove Raymond crazy. When my dad was still alive we always bought him a new Almanac each year so he could look up to see what actors were still alive. He would have loved having instant access to the information over the internet. (Well, he would have loved someone looking it up for him.)

I also have to watch to see if the deaths come in threes, but that is yet another tale.

So now you know that I am even weirder than you thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sometimes deaths do come in threes--but also 2s and 4s.