Saturday, April 19, 2008

Not Fifty Yet

Yesterday was my birthday. I was 49.

Yesterday was my oldest's birthday. He was 18.

It was a wonderful birthday filled with visits from many wonderful friends, lots of phone calls, and a wonderful lunch with my boss. Today was a continuation of our birthdays with lunch with my "sis", her husband, and her parents, along with my boys and my mother. Another friend stopped by this afternoon with another great gift and card. The celebrations will continue into next week.

I will admit that despite all my wonderful friends wishing me happy birthday, I was still really upset yesterday because I had not heard from Raymond. Last year he was there for me, and this year I did not feel him with me at all. I was really sad in my heart about it until I went to my dear "sister's" house and Raymond was there to surprise me, and to think I almost missed the surprise.

The oldest and I stopped by her house on our way home yesterday to get our birthday hugs (it wouldn't have been a proper birthday without seeing her and her husband) and we were on our way out the door when she remembered she wanted me to see a new plant she had bought. We were getting ready to go out the back door when she said "What is that, is it a bird?" Well it was more than a bird. There was a beautiful hawk in her back yard. When we went out the door he flew to the fence and looked over his shoulder at us. We both looked at each other and smiled. We knew that Raymond had come to say "Happy Birthday."

I still cannot believe that Raymond and I are not going to grow old together, but I hope I have many, many more birthdays with my boys.

No comments: