Saturday, October 25, 2008

Big Night on the Town Last Night

Boy did I have a big night on the town last night! It was so much fun!

My BFF Jill and I went out to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, El Grande Burrito, in Allen, TX. Where I spent nothing for dinner because I have a credit account there that a couple of friends put money into every once in a while.

We had a nice dinner, and conversation. Jill's son, Jeremy, who was injured in Afghansistan months ago and has been in a hospital in Georgia was flown back to San Antonio, TX yesterday to be an out-patient at Brooks Army Medical Center, so we had lots to talk about and celebrate.

During the dinner I remembered that I had not picked up one of my coupon flyers for Joann Fabrics. I also mentioned to Jill that I had a $20 rewards check at home for Jockey and she thought we should go there last night too . We decided to go back to the house and get the coupons and I am so glad I did.

We went to Joann's to buy fleece to make no-sew blankets for Soldiers' Angels. They were having a big sale and we bought enough material to make seven more blankets, maybe 8 I lost count. I bought bamboo quilt batting that was 50% off, and then I had a 50% off any thing that was not on sale. I have wanted and needed a quilting frame for quite a while and I have had my eye on those pvc pipe ones because they can be stored in a very small space. I decided to use my 50% off on a frame since they are $101.99 and even on sale I haven't seen them less than $79.00. Everything went into the cart and off we went to check out. The deal is that Jill buys the fleece for the blankets but I had all the coupons plus an extra 20% off my entire purchase of regular and sale items so we checked out as one and decided to settle up at home. I had another coupon for 40% off any regular or sale item and I gave that to Jill for one of the fleece items.

My part of the bill came to $71.73 after the coupons were applied. That is a terrific deal! If had I paid full price for all that my bill would have been over $160.00. (Hey Jill, I owe you the tax on that stuff.)

The other terrific part of the trip to Joann's was I got to see my college kid Loni. She was buying fleece to do no-sews for Project Linus.

After Joann's we headed to Jockey. I found a new pair of winter pj's (no green) for $60.00. There were 40% off, less my extra 15% off coupon, less my $20.00 rewards check and the end price ended up being $10.60 plus tax. What a deal!

Jill and I stopped at a couple of other places quick to look for Nacho Cheese flavored Bugles for a trail mix she is making for the soldiers, but no luck. So it was home.

We came home and chatted for a while and then Jill worked on a no-sew blanket while I did two more rows to my quilt. The youngest helped tie a little (very little) on the blanket when it was time, but I will admit it was pretty late and he was tired.

Jill left with 2 blankets for the soldier's. One made by my TOPS group and the one we completed last night. I went to bed dancing over my great bargain purchases and the knowledge that I only have one more row on the quilt before I can start putting on the borders.

All it all it was a terrific big night on the town for me. I love saving money. Raymond always called me a "cheap" date, guess that hasn't changed, even though Jill wasn't a date. (I know her husband will appreciate me putting that in here.)

Here is the blanket we finished last night.



This is the blanket that we did at TOPS the other night for Soldiers' Angels:

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I am so glad you had a good night on the town. I now how energizing that can be. Enjoy yourself again soon!