Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What Do I Really Need in the Bathroom?

I found out late today that my remodeler will be tearing out my bathroom tomorrow and I have been in a rush all evening to get everything cleared out of it.

My current bathroom has really deep cabinets and a deep linen closet. Tonight when I was cleaning out these cabinets on my hands and knees and reaching back as far as I could with my good arm, I found some things that have probably been back in those cabinets since we moved here in 1993. I never use those cabinets except for things I might need at a later date. There were hot rollers ... my hair is too short for rollers. Lots of velcro rollers, pony tail holders, barrettes, etc. I found some ace bandages, a finger splint, and a few other items from previous physical therapy treatments. All gone now.

My medicine cabinet was full of samples of items I never tried, old razors, and barber scissors. I cannot remember the last time I opened that cabinet.

The vanity drawers were known to me. I use them the most. The top one was full of soap slivers. I hate to throw away soap slivers, but I also will not use the soap when it gets to a certain size. I am always hesitant to throw out soap slivers, because I never know when I might run out of soap. Tonight I threw them away.

The bottom vanity drawer was full of an odd assortment of previous decor used in the bathroom. All of it gone now except some really pretty shower curtain rings I might use again in the new bathroom.

Under the sink was an assortment of products bought, not liked, but too full to throw away. Shampoos, bubble baths, body washes, facial scrubs, and conditioners. All gone now.

As I was cleaning I was trying to decide what I really need in the bathroom as far as cabinetry and such.

I know I must have a place where I can sit in a chair and read while I do my hair and makeup. I enjoy sitting in my little makeup area in the mornings and relaxing while I "InStyle" my hair.

I need a linen closet, but one that isn't so deep. Also, I need to figure out what to do about those top shelves I can never reach. They are pretty useless to me.

I need a mirror over the sink and makeup area, but not necessarily a medicine cabinet.

Drawers are nice for extra supplies. At least 3 towel bars. A niche in the shower for my shampoos and soap. No toilet paper holder on the wall. I hate those. I prefer the ones that sit on the floor and you can place several rolls on at once. You also avoid that stupid over/under argument.

I am sure there are other items, but I am going to bed now so I can clean out the rest of the bathroom in the morning.

1 comment:

Loni said...

a small trash can is helpful in the bathroom... and maybe someday you might use it to throw away those soap slivers.