Thursday, March 31, 2011

PT

I had my third visit to PT today for my shoulder.  My oldest drove me and stayed with me in my little area reading.

I love my therapist.  His name is Reuben. He is funny, kind, really good at what he does, and pushes you without letting it go to the point you hurt yourself.

Today's therapy consisted of:
  • Heat
  • Shoulder Manipulation
  • Pendulums and Swings, four exercises at 2 minutes each.
  • Hand Bike, 4 min. forward, 4 min. backwards
  • Pulleys, 4 min.
Then I was supposed to get back on the table and do my stick exercises, which I have not done since surgery.

I laid down and went to lift the stick and it was as if my shoulder and upper back went into a giant Charlie Horse. I tightened up, there was spasms, and all I could do was start laughing hysterically.  The oldest is not paying the least bit of attention to what I am doing even though he is only 2 feet away.  I can't move, I can't cry, I can't speak, all I can do is laugh.  Finally I am able to squeak out Reuben's name.  He asks if I am in trouble and all I can do is laugh.  He walks over to see what I have done and to see if I am in pain.  One look and he knows.  He starts manipulating my shoulder and telling me to relax, but all I can do is laugh.  He finally gets it relaxed enough that the laughter stops and I can catch my breath. No stick exercises were performed.

Reuben gave me ice and STIM therapy and that helped tremendously.

I asked him when I would be able to drive and he said it would be probably be another month.  He will let me drive to work and back since it is so close to home.  He said if I can't pick up the stick, I can't drive. 

Thank goodness for my village. 

No comments: