Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Big Day for Mama C

Another very wet, grey and yucky day.  I slept until 9:00 A.M. and then got up to go have breakfast in the living room.  I admit to not being fully dressed to accept company, but then again I wasn't expecting any company.

I had just settled into the living room when I heard a lot of banging outside.  I was confused as to what the noise could be because it was way too early for John to arrive.  I decided to ignore the sounds and find something to watch on television.  I was just at the perfectly comfortable position when I looked up and there in the back yard was my pool man and another man.  Well that really messed with my mind.  Charlie always comes on Monday.  Was this Monday? Was I late for work?  Oh crap, could they see me through the sliding door in my "not fit for company" state?  I quickly dodged into a dark corner of the living room while they did their job, promising myself to look at the day online as soon as I could in case it was Monday and I had slept a lot longer than I thought.  

Once Charlie and company left, I checked the day, and once again got comfortable.  I settled in with a comfy quilt and watched several episodes of "What About Brian" before getting ready for my big adventure for the day...finding a new pair of shoes since my black work shoes are cracked on the sole.

Here are some admissions about me and shoes:
  • I hate to shoe shop.
  • I am extremely picky when it comes to shoes.
  • I own the following shoes:
    • I pair of good New Balance walking shoes
    • I old pair of New Balance walking shoes (for working in the garden)
    • I pair each of brown, black and tan sandals all the same casual style
    • 1 pair of good brown sandals
    • Numerous pairs of slippers in varying degrees deterioration
    • I pair of brown loafers and 1 pair of black loafers, both purchased for $10 each when Famous Footwear was still located in Allen next to Target and when Raymond was still working (so prior to 2002).
It was the pair of black loafers that sprung a leak the night before and had to be replaced today before work this week.  It took a while for me to psych myself up for the ordeal.

I set out around 2:00 P.M. to go to Famous Footwear in the pouring rain, wearing my brown loafers. Upon arrival I discovered that they had no wide widths in any of their slip on shoes.  I left.  

I then, and this is a huge deal this close to Christmas, went to the Outlet Mall and in the pouring rain found a Naturalizer shoe store.  They had lots of selections in wide widths.  I think I tried on about 20 pairs of shoes.  Kim who works there was very helpful.  Victor was helpful when asked, but did not have the best attitude.  I only needed help when my size was out of reach.  I ended up with 2 pair of black shoes and one pair of brown shoes.

The next stop was Fashion Bug to use my $15.00 coupon.  They were having a big sale so I bought 2 pairs of jeans and another sweater.  I had to get another pair of jeans so I would have enough to last a week.  I tore a pair at work the other day, and they are no longer fit to wear out unless I have on a very long shirt.  

Target was the next stop to get shampoo and Color Catchers (new quilting project has red and white squares). It was on this errand that my feet decided to let me know they hated me and I ended up hobbling around the store.  I guess they got used to the cushioned new shoes in the shoe store and wanted to know why I had put them back into a pair of at least 10 year old shoes.  I thought I was going to have to crawl out of the store.

Once I was back in the car I checked in to see if the youngest needed me to take him for dinner, and once he said "no," I checked with Loni to see if she wanted to meet up for dinner.  Since she was about to run into town on an errand and I was close to her house I just picked her up, and we had dinner and ran her errand.  All of this while it was still raining and getting much colder.

Now I am home, in my comfortable slippers and I am going to try to finish up my quilting project.  

Finding three pair of shoes that I wanted was a big day for Mama C.  If all goes well I shouldn't HAVE to shop for shoes until 2021.




2 comments:

Loni said...

i'm so proud of you

Unknown said...

That was a big deal for you; glad you found what you were after and stocked up.