Monday, January 9, 2012

I Had a Wonderful Evening

My boys are home for just a few more days.  

During the break I have seen my oldest some, but not as much as I had hoped.  He has spent a lot of time with his girlfriend.  

This morning when I left for work I told the boys to prepare a grocery list and then we would shop tonight and fix dinner.  When I came home they had prepared a small list of really no food. I asked the oldest what we were supposed to eat this week and that is when he informed me he was going to spend several days with his girlfriend and therefore did not want to fill the house with food that would go to waste.  I was a little disappointed, but okay.

We decided we would have a spaghetti dinner tonight when we came home from the store.  

Usually when I shop I do my very best to avoid having to talk to people I know, but tonight it was inevitable.  When we walked into the grocery, we ran right into an old friend that was also one of my youngest's teachers, no choice but to carry on a conversation.  After a few minutes we went about our shopping.  We were getting ready to check out when I noticed the stuffed animal display for Valentine's Day.  I had to go look for the ones that play music and was just beginning to have fun playing them when I felt a tap on my shoulder.  It was an acquaintance that I always do my best to avoidr.  My boys even take tactics to avoid her.  No choice but to speak.  The boys, who had been staying away from me because they are embarrassed by how I love to make all the animals play music saw what had happened and were kind enough to come running to my rescue.  We went on to check out.

As we were coming home, the boys were commenting on my bad luck tonight. The youngest said he was pretty sure I had avoided the acquaintance during at least six previous visits.  Then he said that when he moved out and had to shop on his own, he was going to treat the grocery like a war zone and be very stealth in his movements.  Cracked me up.

We put groceries away, cooked together, had a nice leisurely dinner with lots of great conversation and then we put the food away and the did the dishes.  

The boys then had a friend over and I have spent the evening rejoicing in their laughter while IM'ing with a dear friend back in KY.  
A truly wonderful evening, but the best part was when about an hour after dinner my oldest came in just to tell me he loved me very much.  

I truly am blessed.


2 comments:

Loni said...

aw, some good old fashioned Mama and Boys time... :)

Unknown said...

Very glad to hear that you are having some time with your two young men.