Sunday, February 5, 2012

One House My Dad Built

Until I married Raymond, I had always lived in a house built by my dad.  This is the house I lived in in Dayton from age 6-13.  Almost all the trees in the picture were planted by my dad, but the other plants in the front are from the current owner.  We are still friends with the neighbors on the garage side of the house. 


When we moved into this house it was not complete.  Dad had a way of selling our houses out beneath us before having a place for us to move into.  We had to walk a plank over a huge ditch to enter the house.  There was no running water, or heat.  It was quite an adventure.  It was not a lot of fun at the time, but we enjoyed telling the stories over the years.  

We did not even have stairs between the two floors when we moved in this house.  There was a ladder you climbed to get to the bedrooms and then you had to climb down it to get to the portable toilet that was set up for us.  I remember one night my brother missed the ladder and fell to the first floor. Mom was sure he was dead.  We turned the flashlights on him and he was fine, not happy, but fine.

FYI: Dad sold this house before the house in KY was done too.  Never a dull moment.


No comments: