Sunday, March 22, 2009

St. Paddy's Day in Hot Springs, Arkansas


We spent Saint Patrick's Day, 2009, in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

We walked around the historical downtown with the full intention of going to the world's shortest St. Patrick's Day parade. We were right there on Bridge Street, and it sounded like fun. However, as we talked to merchants and found out the size of the crowd they were expecting, the boys became very reluctant to stay around, and that was fine with me. The parade was supposed to start at 6 p.m. and people were already lining up at 3:00 p.m. We figured we would not be able to see much unless we started lining up and we were not done with our visit to the sites.

We did see some spectacular art in two great galleries that day. The first gallery we went to was Taylor's Contemporanea, Inc. Salon of Fine Art. She was very nice and had some beautiful pieces in her gallery. I could have stayed in there for hours and hours looking at some of the pieces. We also went to the Art Church Studio, where we met some very nice people.

Next it was off to the aquarium because the oldest had not been there, and the youngest loves all the turtles they have. Not the best aquarium in the world, but I do like the turtles they have, and I had coupons off the admission price.

We toured all the little shops and I purchased a lucky turtle charm and the oldest found some rock dice for his collection of dice.

We stopped at the visitor's center which is actually one of the old bath houses restored that you can tour. We started the tour, but I told the boys they could go on without me. It was making me ill thinking about all those people in those steamers, and tubs. Also some parts of it looked like torture rooms to me. I was not enjoying myself. The boys said they did not care to go further either.

We did go to the outside pool and dip our hands into the water. It was hot!

Our late lunch was at Bella Arti. The youngest had the individual gourmet pizza. The oldest had minestrone soup and fried calamari. I had caprese and linguini fra diavola. We all had triple chocolate truffle cheesecake for dessert. It was delicious.

We left after our late lunch because of the crowds coming in for the parade.

One nice thing about being in Hot Springs was that the oldest fit in and we didn't have all the glares.

A lovely day full of beautiful sights.

No comments: