Friday, September 28, 2012

WOW, It Has Been 40 Years

I guess I don't stop to think about how many years it has been since I first heard a song, when a movie was released, or read my first Stephen King novel, but sometimes I see a reference to how many years it has been and I go WOW.

WOW is what I said last night when I realized it has been 40 years since I first heard Don McLean's American Pie.  I remember very clearly I was walking up the hill on Thelma Ave. in Dayton, OH with a girl I had met in the neighborhood and we were carrying a transistor radio.  American Pie came on and we listened to it as we walked and I was fascinated by the lyrics, even though I wasn't old enough to understand the references in the song.

I still love the song and as I got older I was able to get some of the references.  Last night I found an article on AARP entertainment breaking down the lyrics into possible meanings and thought it was very interesting, but only Don knows what he really meant. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This has been one of my favorite songs for years. Finally ... a song that both you and I like.

Cheryl said...

Mina, I am so glad you didn't go "WHO?"