Friday, September 14, 2012

Maybe It's the Range

I keep waiting for the day when I will mentally feel over the age of 25, but it hasn't come yet.  

Maybe I still feel mentally young because I am constantly around such an age range of people.  My oldest friend is over 85 and I also spend a lot of time talking to young men and women in their late teens and early twenties.  

Just today I listened to a fascinating conversation about Iran, Israel and Libya between a group in their 70's and 80's.  While I do not agree with them politically, it was amazing to listen to them discuss current events and events from years past (some of them I don't remember) with such spirit and conviction.  I ended up coming home and looking up some of the information they were quoting to see if it was fact or what I call "news fiction."  They were all stating facts that have been in credible resources in the last few days.  One lady knew exactly how many ships had been deployed this week and their current location.  

I have a lot of friends in their early 40's with kids still at home, but close to becoming empty nesters.  We spend a lot of time discussing what they want to do next in their life.  I find it interesting to hear their ideas because it is during those discussions that secret dreams come out, and I start looking at my life closer and thinking about what I really want to do next.

My youngest group, well they keep me up to date with music, slang, websites, and trends while also providing me with a completely different perspective of the world.  Their views of the world allows me to look at things differently.  Whereas I am pretty solid in my beliefs and views, I have been swayed once or twice by a young one to take another look at a subject. 

Ms. Sarah, one of the young ones, asked me the other day not to turn into a crabby old person.  I am going to try very hard to keep my mind young and continue to enjoy the range of people in my life. 

No comments: