Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Disappointed

I was expecting a visit from an old friend this weekend.  I haven't seen her since the oldest was 2 1/2, so the fall of 1992.  

We have been friends since 7th grade.  I am four days older than she is and she never lets me forget it.  All through high school, even when I moved away, we stuck it out.  I can't tell you how many times we switched boyfriends.  I was her maid of honor in her wedding, and she was my matron of honor.  

We had plans for the weekend. She was going to bring her sewing machine and I was going to teach her how to make eyeglass cases, wallets, table runners, and other small items.  I was really looking forward to us spending the time sewing and catching up.  

Neither one of us has ever been big on calling the other one, unless there is a tragedy.  A death of a friend, a grandparent, or a parent usually warrants a call.  She didn't call when she found out she had breast cancer.  She told me that through an instant message, and only after I felt something was wrong.  We have always had that kind of connection, a knowledge when the other one is in trouble, or thinking of the other one. 

I can't exactly remember what we were doing in the school hall way one day, but I remember exactly which hall way we were in and that we were laughing hysterically when we bumped into one of our teachers.  We both had him for a class, but we weren't in the same class.  He seemed surprised that the two of us knew each other.  He looked us over as if he was summing up the situation and said "That figures, birds of a feather flock together."  Then he shook his head and walked off.  

I'll miss her this weekend.

1 comment:

mamabrown said...

Maybe you can reschedule soon and meet in the middle somewhere fun? I know you were looking forward to her visit. Sorry your plans didn't work out.