Friday, October 19, 2012

Why I End Up Doing Things I Hate

A former instructor visited with me in my office today and was telling me about the next class she is teaching in 2013.  During the explanation she said she knew that I already had the skill set, and that she did not expect me to follow along with the project but that I would be expected to provide a finished quilt block for the group. 

Now normally I would not have a problem with this idea, but the technique she is teaching and required for the block is one I absolutely hate.  I don't like doing it, I don't like looking at it, and I really don't want to spend time making even one block even if the sale of the item is for a good cause.  In fact, as soon as she told me the technique I was trying to figure out how I was going to get out of taking the class, since it seemed to be expected that I would be there.  

I pretty much had my excuse formulated in my mind when the instructor was ready to leave and needed help carrying items to her car.  After I placed everything in her car, she turned to me and told me that she wasn't sure she would see me until January and she wanted to wish me Happy Holidays.  She then gave me a giant hug and told me she was really looking forward to spending time with me again and working with me.  

Hugs and words like that are the reasons I always end up doing things I hate.  I will end up rationalizing that since this woman and another woman in the group want me to take the class what would it hurt for me to give up 2 hours a week of my time to do something I hate if it makes a couple of people happy.  I will do this knowing full well that other than the socializing with my friends in the group, and there are more than two, I will hate every second of the project and my jaw will hurt from gritting my teeth. I also know that if I decide not to take the class, there will be phone calls (sometimes on a weekly basis) telling me how much I am missed, and then asking if I am sure I cannot attend.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you now have a new social committment on Monday beginning the second week in January.
It's called the JM Non-gritting Social time. Meets from 7pm-9pm.
You are required to attend.