Monday, October 15, 2012

More from Cottonwood Art Festival, Fall 2012

I met Ralph Rankin, a ceramic artist, from Orlando, Florida at the October Cottonwood Art Festival. This was his first year to show at Cottonwood.  I took one look at his display and knew I would be making a purchase.  Since he was pretty close to the beginning of my journey through the booths, I told him that I would have to come back to make my purchase.  I only say that to artists that I know I will purchase from, otherwise I thank them for sharing their talent and go on.  I did have to laugh though because as we left the booth my youngest turned to the Mr. Rankin and said "She will be back, and she will be buying." 

I don't think I have to explain my purchase once you see it.  I haven't been able to get a great picture of it because there is always a reflection.
 
 
I would have preferred five turtles since five is my favorite number, but my choice was six or seven.  I explained to Mr. Rankin that I could not have an even number it had to be an odd number.  

I try to always take enough cash to pay all the artists that way, but by the time I arrived back to this booth, my last stop, I was $4 short, and the youngest had no cash, not even his required hidden emergency money.  Mr. Rankin told me not to worry about it, but I asked for his address and told him that I would mail him the money.  He gave it to me and said he did not expect to get the $4.00 but it would make him smile if he did.  When we met back up with Loni I asked her to give me $4.00 and went back to give him the rest of the money.  He thanked me and told me it wasn't necessary, and I explained to him that I would never cheat any artist as I respect the talent too much.  

I love it!

I also added to my John P Irizarry collection. He had this triptych that I decided I had to have for over my sliding door.  I explained to John that I was going linear with the piece and therefore had to see it that way in the booth.  He is so sweet he took it down, and started to lay them out as he had them numbered, but of course I did not want them that way and I kept telling him how to rearrange them and then I wanted to see them with space between them and without.  He was so great to go along with me.  His partner Scott was laughing his head off.  I really like the arrangement I have over my door, but have not been able to get a great photo of the way I have it laid out due to the acryllic finish giving me a glare even without the flash. 

Since I couldn't afford the original Skatin' Demon from Brandon Styles, Dr.B.Zurk, I purchased one of his Daft Sods prints.  It just makes me smile.







No comments: