Friday, October 12, 2012

I Don't Understand

How could the one child that is most like me be so unlike me?

I just don't understand my youngest, and I am not talking about his food "issues" or his aversion to driving.  I am talking about the fact that he doesn't know whether he will vote in the presidential election.  

What????

This is the first presidential election he has been eligible to vote in and he might not vote because he doesn't feel any great affiliation with either candidate.  How could this be my child?  How could be Raymond's child?  

I couldn't wait to be old enough to vote.  It was a bigger deal to me than driving.  My parents always stayed up with candidates, presidential, state, or local, there were discussions around the table as to who was running and what did we know about them.  Local candidates were important to my dad in his business. 

I remember the first time I voted.  I drove to Nancy, KY and entered the building so excited.  I knew the ladies running the room and they knew me. As I went to step into the booth and pull the curtain, Mrs. Haney looked me right in the eye and said "You know who to vote for right?"  I knew what she meant.  She meant I had better go in there and pull that Republican lever and walk away.  I said "Yes, ma'am I know what I am doing"and I did.  I had done my homework.  I did not pull the straight Republican lever.  I walked out of that booth and she said "Good Girl!"  I said "Thank you" and walked out with my head high. To me that was the beginning of me being a true independent woman, I was in control of that situation.  I had my say, based on my opinion of the facts I had read.  I was proud.

Raymond and I always studied the candidates.  We would go to local meet the candidates, study the League of Women Voter's candidate guides, etc. and then would take a sample ballot with us with our chosen candidates checked so we wouldn't forget which judge we wanted over another.  Any other issues on the ballots were fully researched.  Did we always agree on candidates and vote alike? Heavens no. There were many years we took great pride in canceling the other one's vote.  Did knowing our vote wouldn't count keep us from going to the voting booth?  Heck no!  The last election Raymond voted in was from his hospice bed.  The election official came to the house, we all stepped outside and Raymond marked his ballot.  It meant that much to him.  

So, how can I have an 18 year old child so indifferent to voting?  It isn't that he doesn't know his candidates, he knows the candidates and he keeps up with the issues. He probably keeps up with it better than I do now. How can he not want to have his say?  There has to be one that fits his beliefs more than the other.  

I don't understand.  It just baffles me. 



1 comment:

mamabrown said...

Give him a chance to have the right and then the "wrong" person wins. Then, just tell him he could have made a difference and he doesn't have the right to complain if he doesn't vote. Kids have to learn the hard way sometimes. I know a lot of adults that feel the same way as your youngest. They think their "person" will win no matter what they do. We both know better. It is our right and duty as an American to vote. I understand where you are coming from! So many people in the world NEVER get the chance to vote and have a say in their destiny. We are so very blessed. I should stop now, shouldn't I? I am preacing to the choir.