Friday, October 12, 2012

What is it About Me?

I hate to shop, but since I gave away pretty much all my winter clothes I now have no choice but to find a few things to keep me warm at work in the upcoming months.  Since my plans for today were canceled I decided to venture out to look for something.  I really just wanted to shop and think. I have a lot going on in my head and I thought it would be good to get out of the house and sort through some of it this afternoon.  

My first stop was JCP.  I managed to get to where I wanted to go without having to interact with anyone and was busy thinking and be-bopping to the great music they were playing when it happened.  The same thing that always happens.  A woman latched on to me.  She was older than me, but not what I would consider a senior, but she wanted to have a conversation.  I was holding up a green and navy top and thinking how ugly it was when she started in on how she would love to buy one but it wasn't in her size.  I gritted my teeth and looked over hoping to cut her off before it went much further and here she was about a size 6 in the plus sizes.  I explained to her that I was sure she could find it in her size in the right department since it was a well named designer.  She started in about how she had been all over the store and this was the only place she could find this top but it just was too big.  (The woman could have wrapped it around her several times it was a 3X, it would have fallen off me.)  She then went on about her two friends in Chicago and how she was going to have to go home and call them immediately and tell them to go to JCP and look at the top because she was sure they would just love it.  It was then I gave up.  I was not going to be able to shop in peace.  I ungritted my teeth and talked to her for a while before we parted ways.

My next stop was Kohl's, where I managed to avoid all contact except for one man who snuck up on me, but after a "Hello, how are you?" he moved on.  However, the vibe was bad in that store and I couldn't think so I was on my way soon after arrival.

I then headed to Lane Bryant.  I have never found anything in there, but I thought I would try.  I was the only customer and when the saleslady approached I told her that I was only there to look, didn't know what I wanted, and was probably not buying today.  She was very nice and said to call if I needed her.  I was out of there in five minutes.  

My last stop was Belk. I was unhappily shopping and filling my arms with anything I thought might fit when I heard "Do you think these are black or dark navy jeans." I turned around and there stood a woman about my age who looked like she wanted to be there as much as I did.  I looked in her arms and I really couldn't tell if the pants were black or not.  I had on a black t-shirt so I put it up next to the pants and we decided they were black. She then told me she didn't know how many pairs of jeans she needed.  I told her it depended on how often she liked to do laundry.  She started looking at the things I had in my arms and commenting on the green I had picked over the green she had picked.  She liked mine better.  So there it went, a shopping alliance was formed and each time we passed each other we would look over the others stuff and comment.  She ended up in line behind me and we chatted some more.  She said she enjoyed our chats.
 
So what is it about me that I always end up in these situations with people pretty much every where I go? Please note that I did not do anything to initiate these encounters today.  I did not see these women first and smile at them or nod.  I was looking in another direction entirely when they approached me. They had to speak to get my attention. I watch other people and no one ever speaks to them while they are shopping.  In fact there were plenty of other people these two women could have spoken today instead of me.  I am pretty sure my face did not say "I care" today.

No comments: