Monday, October 29, 2012

I'm Not Good at Faking Surprise

When I was sick last week I got a text from my oldest saying he and his girlfriend wanted to spend the night Saturday night.  Once I was feeling better I texted and asked him if there was a reason they wanted to stay here and he answered that they just hadn't seen me in a while.  I told him I had to work Saturday and what time would they get there.  He wasn't sure but said he would be happy to make dinner for me since I was working.  I said we could have tortilla soup and would make sure to have everything ready so he could cook.

Now the oldest and his girlfriend just returned from a trip to San Antonio where they celebrated her birthday and their 3rd anniversary.  We all figured they would come back engaged or married, and I knew there would be some announcement on Saturday night. 

I came home from work at 5:00 P.M. and he had texted they would get there at 6:30. Since I had not eaten all day I went ahead and started dinner to be ready at 6:30.  They arrived a little before 6:30 and he asked why I hadn't waited for him to cook and I explained I was hungry and couldn't wait.  As we were talking in the kitchen I kept looking for a ring on her hand but I didn't see one but I did notice how they kept glancing at each other.  They had been home about 15 minutes when he said they had a big announcement to tell me.  Just as he said this I saw Loni's car coming up the driveway.  I turned and asked him "What?" and he said they had decided it was the right time to get engaged.  I said congratulations.  He then asked me why I didn't act surprised and I said because I had known it was coming.  Right then Loni walked in the kitchen.  I told him to go ahead and tell her but she wouldn't be surprised either.

My poor son is so disappointed that no one is surprised.  Her parents weren't and neither was his side of the family.  I told him that since I had flat out asked him if he was thinking about getting engaged just a couple of months ago and he said yes, I couldn't fake being surprised.  I then told him a birthday and three year anniversary was a pretty obvious time to get engaged.  

He is still disappointed.


No comments: