Friday, April 10, 2009

Did You Hear Me Screaming?


Really, did anyone hear me screaming around 6:15 p.m.? I am pretty sure anyone within a 20 mile radius heard me.

My youngest and I went out today and purchased some beautiful flowers for the above ground bed that the youngest built with one of Raymond's friends. The youngest had already put in a lot of work in the yard today while I was at work, so I told him I would plant the flowers. I planted the first five plants, no problem. I started in digging the hole for the sixth hole and as I took out the first trowel full of dirt I heard something that sounded like a squeaker in a dog toy. As I dug in for another trowel full I was looking around the yard trying to figure out where the sound was coming from when the sound increased in volume. I looked down to see if I had taken out enough dirt and that is when I realized what was producing the sound. I had dug up a mouse nest and my trowel was full of baby mice squealing and writhing about like they were in pain. I dropped the trowel, stood up and just started screaming.

Now you would think that the youngest would have run over to see what was wrong with me, but no he did not. He said he looked over and I was standing up with the trowel and he did not see blood, and he figured if I could scream it wasn't a heart attack, so he knew there was something in the box. I told him I could have been snake bit, but he said I wasn't holding any part of my body, and he wouldn't want to run over if there was a snake and risk being bit. (Did I say I would miss him when he left for school?)

After the youngest finally sauntered over to see the baby mice, we had to decide what to do. The decision was made to bury them again since they were buried before I started digging. I voted that the youngest rebury the little things and plant the plants on that side of the box.

Even after the youngest buried them again one of them worked itself back up to right under a thin layer of dirt and we could see it pulsing. I hope their mommy finds them and takes care of them, but most of all I hope I never see them again.

2 comments:

Loni said...

ewww ewww ewww... i am so a city girl... and pretty glad I have a cat! ... eww...

Cheryl said...

Sometimes I would like a barn cat for the back field barn, but then I think about all my beautiful birds and bunnies. Then I think about all the coyotes and the giant hawk in the back field and figure I wouldn't have a barn cat for long.

I just didn't know that there would be something like that in my garden box.