Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

This is the first year since 1991 that we have not dyed Easter eggs and had an Easter egg hunt. It was quite a shock to me.

Raymond was always in charge of the coloring of the Easter eggs. I would buy all the coloring kits, boil the eggs, and lay out the paper, but he was the one that would really get into the artistic side of the colored Easter eggs. He and the boys even colored Easter eggs in the living room while Raymond was in a hospital bed in hospice care. Raymond could barely see straight from all the morphine but he squinted his eyes and carefully painted scenes on the eggs. It made it very hard to color eggs the next year.

Last year we colored eggs, but I could tell the spirit wasn't there. We did the egg hunt too, but even I will admit it was a little ridiculous to be hiding eggs for boys with size 12 (oldest) and size 13 (youngest) shoes.

This year they both vetoed the idea of coloring eggs when I brought it up. Instead of an Easter egg hunt we just went by the drugstore and they picked out the kind of chocolate bunny they wanted.

It was fine, yet it made me so sad.

So no colored eggs, or egg hunt, or deviled eggs to make this year, but that is not Easter. We all got up and went to the early service at church, the boys loved the sermon today, and enjoyed the music. I enjoyed being there with them and hearing them sing, one on each side of me. I had a Raymond flash in church and it made me smile. We were together as a family and that is always makes a perfect day for me.

Happy Easter.

1 comment:

Loni said...

I'll come color egss with you next year... cause egg salad sandwiches with colored speckles are the best.