Sunday, April 19, 2009

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

I finished "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult last night. I am still thinking about all the layers of this book. The main story is about a woman filing a wrongful birth suit against her ob/gyn who was also her best friend after her youngest daughter is born with osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), type III. She does not file the suit until the girl is six years old.

The book follows the lawsuit and the effect of it on the family, and the doctor.

Each chapter is written in a different voice. The mother's, the father's, the oldest daughter's, the woman's lawyer, and the doctor's.

It is a very thought provoking book just on the storyline alone, but I had another view to bring into it. My parent's first born was severely handicapped. She died at age seven, long before I was born, but all my life I heard stories of what it was like from my mom. I know how it changed my brother's life, and my dad's silence on all of it was extremely telling. After listening to my mother talk about those seven years of her life, the family life, and what my sister suffered, I had to put that into my thoughts brought about by this book.

Jodi Picoult never fails to deliver. This is a terrific book.


No comments: