Sunday, April 19, 2009

New Savings Goal

Saving for the Kindle2 was such an incentive for me to not make impulse purchases, the youngest and I thought I should start another savings jar for a new goal.

My favorite chair, a rocking recliner made for people of shorter stature is starting to breakdown. It currently has a large metal rod sticking out of the side. Every man that has walked into this house, and some reasonably strong women have tried to cut this metal rod, but to no avail.

The rod does not stick out in an area that is noticeable to anyone in the room, but it is noticeable to the person sitting in the chair, which is mostly me. The rod has caused several instances of near disaster in the past year. Since I mainly sit in the chair with my legs crossed Indian style, my socks and pants tend to hook on the rod with me being totally unaware, then when I stand up I trip and fall. I have landed on my face several times and it is really starting to bang up my knees.

Most people would probably go sit in a different chair, but this one is the only one in the house that is for someone of my height, therefore it is ultra comfortable for me. It is perfect for quilting, reading, tv watching, computer using, bird watching, yelling at the boys, talking on the phone, or writing a letter.

The back of the chair comes to right below my head and my neck rest perfectly against the pillow. Other chairs have pillow backs that bend my head at an unnatural angle.

The depth of the chair is perfect because it actually meets the back of my knees, and not below my knees like bigger chairs. I can bend my legs instead of them sticking straight out.

However, the chair has seen finer days, and since I never know when the rod is going to trip me, I am worried I will really be injured one of these days. So it is time to start saving up for a replacement.

I have priced similar chairs on the internet and they are around $500.00. I am going to save $600.00 to cover tax and delivery, but I will probably find the chair on sale for much less once I have the money.

I like having something to save for in this way. It really does stop me from buying unnecessary items such as the new green flower pot at Target. I have a whole greenhouse full of pots. I don't need a new one just because it is green.

I am very excited about this new savings goal, let's hope the old chair doesn't maim me first.

1 comment:

Loni said...

go for it; us shorter people need items that are comfortable!