Sunday, April 19, 2009

Preliminary Kindle2 Review

Kudos to the packaging. It is very classy. I love that the pull tab to open the outer covering says "Once upon a time ..." The box is like the inside of an egg carton. Very compact and not over done the box is nice to lay my Kindle2 in until I get my cover on Tuesday. To me the packaging just added to the excitement. Some people may not view it that way, but this was a big purchase for me and something I have wanted since the first time the Kindle1 was released on the market. It was also exciting for me because I know it is something Raymond would have purchased for me.

I love it! I will admit that it is so light it is taking me a little while to get used to it, but then again the cover for it has not arrived yet. So I am just reading the Kindle2 alone. Plus before I started reading on it yesterday, I made myself finish the book I was reading which was quite hefty.

When I started it up, the book I had purchased when I bought it, and the sample of a book I had signed up for were already loaded. As was my account. So I could start reading immediately. I ordered another book and suddenly it was there on my list. I really thought that because I have issues with my cell phone at my house that I would have problems loading books. Not so.

The sample of the new Mary Higgins Clark book was very generous. I quit reading the sample when I got to page 2 of Chapter 2.

People give the text to speech a bad review, but really it is not bad. I could easily have it read to me if I have to go pick up my son or something right in the middle of an exciting part in a book.

I took it to bed with me to read last night. Very easy to lay in almost any position and read. I love the fact that I can change the size of the font in the books because I like to read without my glasses in bed so I could make the necessary adjustments.

It took me a few minutes to get used to using my left hand to use the buttons on that side of the Kindle2 to turn the pages (buttons on each side), but once I did get used to it, I was reading one handed, which was very comfortable.

There are a lot of features I have not discovered yet on the Kindle2, but I am looking forward to learning how to use all of them. One of the first ones I am going to work on is getting my book list that I have been building up for about ten years from my computer to my Kindle2.

One downside. I will either have to clean my purse out even more, or start carrying a little bigger purse because I'm carrying a very small one right now. I could always keep carrying the purse and put the Kindle2 in my canvas bag like I have been carrying my other books, but I think that would make me nervous due to the cost of the Kindle2.

More as I learn about this amazing device. I am so glad I treated myself.

No comments: