Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More on Kindle2

My love of my Kindle2 grows each day.

I was so worried that I would spend all that money and be unhappy. Not true. I haven't even begun to use all the features available on my K2, but I already do not want to be without it.

One of the things I was really worried about was how it would interfere with some of my reading habits, because, yes, I am a bathroom reader. Always have been, always will be. However, I was freaked out over the idea of taking such an expensive "book" into the loo. I have a nice chair (no, that is not another word for toilet, I have an actual chair in there), and sometimes I sit in there to read when I am not feeling well and feel the need to be close to the commode.

I finally decided to take the K2 into the bathroom yesterday. Now I like my bathroom because the dressing area is carpeted, and when my back hurts at night I go in there to read because I don't want to wake the youngest walking around the bedroom side of the house trying to find a place to lay and I don't want to go to the trouble of opening up the living room side of the house (which we close off at night). K2 was really great for reading on my back on the dressing area floor when it hurt last night. I could hold the K2 over my head and read without the normal wrist strain I get with big books while my back got the support it needed.

This morning I read while brushing my teeth because there is a ledge next to my sink that allows me to keep my K2 safe from water, but allows me to stand up and read while brushing. I have always done this with non E books, but I would get frustrated because I would have to move my book weight around so I would not miss words, and sometimes a paperback would slam shut losing my place. With the K2 that is not an issue.

Now I probably will not do my hair while reading on K2 like I usually do with a regular book, mainly because I would not want to get hairspray on my K2 screen.

The cover for my K2 came today and since I bought the one that is Kindle2 compatible, my K2 snaps into the cover. I am really happy with the weight of the cover and how it works, however, like many reviews have stated, I wish it had a tab or some type of closure so that the cover won't come open in my purse and allow things to fall into the cover and scratch my K2 screen. Many users have attached a velcro type closure onto their cover, but I like the smoothness of the cover when I hold it, and I am only worried about it in my purse, so no velcro for my K2. I believe I have come up with a solution for my problem, and will share it when I have it all worked out.

I have used the web browser a couple of times and I really like that feature. I have not tried the MP3 player because the oldest will have to show me how to do that.

I know many reviews complain about the robotic sound of the text-to-speech feature, but I have heard worse. I wish it was Sean Connery or George Clooney reading to me, but I can always use my imagination. To date, I don't know why I would use that feature very often. Maybe when I am in the middle of an exciting part of the book and need to pick up the youngest at school I could have it read the rest of the chapter to me. Or if I am cooking and want to hear my book.

I don't regret my decision to purchase the K2. Tonight I sat in the church parking lot waiting to see if anyone showed up for a meeting and read on my K2. I became so engrossed in the story that I stayed longer than I intended. I probably would not have stayed so long with a regular book as it is awkward for me to normally sit in the driver's seat and read because I have to have the seat so far forward to reach the car pedals and I don't like to readjust my seat. The K2 can be held in one hand to the side, or right on the steering wheel because the K2 is so thin. When I am reading a big thick book, I cannot read in the driver's seat at all because I cannot hold the book high enough for very long, and if I try to hold it down lower where it is comfortable there isn't enough room.

One thing I was a little worried about before I bought the K2 was how I would know how far along I was in a book. I like to know just how much I have to read to finish a book so I can plan my reading time. If I am close to finishing, I will allow more reading time in my day. I did not need to worry, because there is a little read out on the left hand bottom of the K2 that tells you. I am currently 39% through "The Lost Quilter."

To date, I am still thrilled with my purchase.

4 comments:

Patsy said...

Sounds like you love your K2 after getting used to it. My sis-in-law is in town, and we had dinner tonight. She just got her's this week and loves it. She is very busy in Deacon work at her church so hasn't had the time to really give it a review, but she is pleased so far. She is the far Eng. Prof. at AC so reads all sorts of books. Now I want one to take on the road with me. Wonder if I could get a Kindle1 pretty cheap.

Anonymous said...

I was so worried this would happen. My poor, poor quilt will get all dusty because of that stupid K2.

Pouting in Dallas.

Loni said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your K2 and I know that all of the quilts in your queue will get done eventually... hang in there J!!!

Cheryl said...

Pouting in Dallas better be careful. Be disrespectful to my K2 and I might have to use a certain quilt as a rag.