Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weekend Update

This has been a good weekend.

Yesterday the boys went to A&M Commerce so the youngest could compete with his computer science club in the regional UIL competition. The oldest is an aide to the group so that is why he was there. They won and will be going to the state competition in a couple of weeks. It is good to see the youngest involved in something like this for a change. He is resistant to group activities.

While they were in Commerce, BFF J and I went on a small quilt shop hop to Lewisville and Carrollton.

We started out with a very delicious and reasonably priced meal at the new Cheddar's in Allen. We both had the lunch trio and chose salad, soup, and 1/2 of a double decker club. Only difference in our orders was the salad dressing.

Our second stop was Quilt Country in Lewisville. It is a wonderful shop, but a little overwhelming due to its size and the amount of fabric available. I get lost in the colors and have trouble focusing. I find myself running from section to section oohing and ahhing, but not accomplishing anything. I finally had to make myself focus by looking at the pattern I am going to start next and using tunnel vision. I did find a piece of fabric I needed to finish the cat quilt back, a great stencil, and some lovely fat quarters.

Third stop was the Quilter's Workshop in Carrolton. BFF had promised me some fabric for my birthday and although I really didn't find the "birthday" fabric at Quilt Country, I found plenty of goodies in the Quilter's Workshop. I found a pattern I had been wanting for almost a year, some beautiful fat quarters, and some great advice. I should have gotten the woman's name there that helped us, but she was terrific, and very patient. The pattern I bought is for paper piecing and I have not tried that before, but she explained what I needed to do and told me that if I got stuck I could call or bring it in and they would help me. She also told me a few things I did not know about how to use the stencil I bought at Quilt Country. I so wish I lived closer to this store. They have terrific classes and are always so helpful. They do a lot of what I call "arty" stuff in that shop and I like that aspect of the craft.

After that it was home. I am very sure BFF wished she had driven yesterday since I don't take the freeways it was a long ride and my maps were not the best so there were a couple of places where I had to back track or guess. Of course I did not mind because it gave us more time to talk, and I think we both needed that yesterday.

Once home BFF left, and I went grocery shopping for the oldest because he was out of food and they were getting home so late from Commerce. He only needed four items and that was easy enough. I picked them up and came home to the sewing machine and worked on the cat quilt back while I waited for the boys to get back.

The boys arrived home after 9 and had not had supper, so we picked up a couple of pizzas, ate, and then the oldest and I played Quirkle before he went back to his apartment.

Today I went to church long enough to listen to the pre-school students sing, and then it was home to prepare to work on the quilt back again. I hope to finish it today. I have a couple of other items I would like to work on after that, but I might need a nap first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ladies name who was so helpful was Cindy.

I'm sitting here w/ a sh*t eating grin on my face because you worked on the cat quilt this week end! I'm getting *excited*!!!

Catmom5