Saturday, April 2, 2011

He Forgot Where We Were Going

Mina was kind enough to bring the youngest home with her today by taking a little detour from the airport to his campus.  

Once he was home and after Mina left I realized he needed a haircut. I called P and she said she could see him this afternoon if we came immediately.  P's shop is about 5 minutes from the house if we hit the 2 red lights.  So off we went.  

The only issue..I can't drive, so the youngest drove.  

He did a great job getting us there.  We had a lovely visit with P and he got a short enough haircut to last him through graduation the second week of May.  His goatee was trimmed up nicely too.  
After some more conversation, it was time to come home.  He did a great job of getting out of her challenging driveway, and on to the road back.  He kept the speed steady, didn't go too far right, and everything was great until we turned on to the main road up to our road.  He wasn't slowing down.  He was within the speed limit (50) but the turn was coming up and he showed not sign of slowing.  I couldn't help it, I told him to slow down for the turn.  He did start slowing down, and then he did the turn, at about 40 MPH.  

I heald my breath, we made it without hitting the ditch or the brick wall, but it was scary.  I think after he made the turn he thought so too.  He said he forgot where we were going and wasn't ready to turn.  

I really wish that child would eat protein.  It might help his memory.

Later when we went out to dinner the oldest drove.  He still has issues with turning on the lights in m car, but it was not a bad trip.  

I am learning to chill a little now that I know it will be a while before I can drive.  


2 comments:

Loni said...

Well, at least the kid drove... and that he didn't roll the van on that turn is a really gooooood thing.

Seren Dippity said...

OMG. That reminded me of when my daughters were learning to drive. I am not good at teaching. I paid good money to a good driving school and thank goodness they learned safely. BUT you still have to let them practice. Terrifying.
Once when we were driving from Houston to my parent's house in Bryan, about a two hour drive, I let my oldest get some highway practice in. She was doing great until we came upon some construction. Going about 70 miles an hour or so. I told her to slow down. Repeatedly. She said "I AM." We were in a very narrow lane surrounded on both sides by construction cones with heavy equipment on one side and a drop off on the other. Thank goodness it was a weekend and there were no workers and no traffic to speak of. Because she DID NOT slow down. Or she did but not nearly soon enough. I was almost squealing. Slow down. Slow down. SLOW DOWN! I didn't want to make her freak out and lose control but I almost wet my pants. When we finally got through the construction and she had finally slowed down. I had her pull off the road. I was shaking. At which point she confessed that she didn't slow down the way I wanted her to because she had forgotten which pedal was the brake and which was the gas. She was afraid to press on the wrong one so she just let the car coast and steered it through the cones as best she could.
Needless to say that was the last practice she had with me in the car. I had my Dad take her out and paid for extra sessions with the driving instructor. When she turned 16, I gave her my old car and bought her our first cell phone. She's 31 now and as far as I know she's only had one accident and one ticket (and that was because I was late getting the car registration updated). So the driving school was worth every penny.

BTW - glad to hear your surgery was a success. I know you'll be glad to be back in control over the little things in life.