Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Day with Friends

I am still on driving restrictions, only work and back, since work is so close to my home. 

On April 15, the youngest had a closed weekend and had to come home, and I had to find a way to get him here.   I decided to call my friend Kathy to see if she would like to make a day of going to get him since we have been talking about doing that for two years now so she could see Recycled Books in Denton.  She was available and said she would love to go, so I called our friend Laura to see if she would like to go with us.  Laura took a little more convincing, but she finally agreed.  Laura is not into used bookstores.

The girls arrived at 9:00 A.M. on the 15th, a very, very windy day.  We left with Kathy driving my van and started our adventure.  

Our first stop was The Spotted Leopard in Cross Roads.  A jewelry and gift shop owned and operated by two women.  I have wanted to stop there for a couple of months and had not had the time.  It was a delightful store and we had fun looking at everything and talking to Heidi.  I bought a blingy large green flower ring, a turtle ring, and a green bracelet.  Kathy picked up several small things for daughter.

The next stop was Minding My P&Q's Quilt Shop.  We roamed around in the shop and I made a purchase of some fabric, and Kathy bought some notions for her daughter.  Laura picked up some ideas for a purse she wants to make.

Recycled books was the next stop on our journey. Kathy was thrilled, and I do mean thrilled with the store.  She immediately found a calligraphy book she had been looking for, and many others.  Laura and I stayed in the quilt books. She found one book she wanted, and I found three.  It was a lot of fun and we were all enjoying ourselves. Although I must admit when Laura and I were sitting on the old lemon and gold shag carpet so we could seen underneath the albums to look at craft books, I could have done without her comment of how she hoped we didn't get bed bugs or anything like that from the carpet.  I itched for hours after that comment.  Thanks Laura.

After the bookstore we moved on to the Antique Mini Mall since we were on the square.  I should say the wind blew us to the Antique Mini Mall.  By the time we left the bookstore the wind was truly so strong that we had no choice but to run or be blown down.  It takes a strong wind to move a heavy girl like me but in the tunnels of those downtown streets, that wind had no problem lifting me off my feet.  Kathy found some things in the mini mall, and Laura tried on some rings.  I was just happy to look for things for them.  

Once we finished up at the mini mall, it was time to pick up the youngest.  Once he was loaded into the van it was off to Wendy's for lunch and then home.  On the way back, Laura wanted to stop at the quilt store again to look at a book she had been eying.  Kathy and the youngest stayed in the van, but I ended up going in with Laura and of course making purchases, but when I got to the counter, Laura paid for my purchases as a birthday gift.  

Once back in the van it was a very windy ride home and upon arrival, the girls headed on to their homes.  

I had a great time with my friends, and I think they enjoyed themselves too.  I hope we can do a road trip again soon.  Maybe this summer when Gretchen is not working. 
 


No comments: