Friday, April 8, 2011

Tax Season

No secret that I hate preparing for tax season, but this year I enlisted help.  I had my oldest do most of the work.  I had him do the tax organizers, the copying, and the delivery to the CPA's office.  We have four returns from this house every year, so it is not a slam dunk process. 

I thought he did a great job and was very responsible in his duties. I was very proud of him.

Two of the returns have been completed, and I have been waiting on the other two.  Today I got a call from a wonderful woman at the CPA's office regarding some questions on my return and the oldest's return.  She asked if she could go over mine first, I told her I didn't care how she handled the order of the questions.  The question for me was simple.  I knew the answer immediately, no big deal.  Then I asked her about the oldest's return.  She hemmed hawed around and then said that after some discussion in the office it had been decided that they would call me about his return so that I could explain it to him.  I started laughing and said "He owes a chunk of money doesn't he?"  She was so relieved that I knew.

I explained to her that I had, along with several of my friends, explained to him that he is basically self-employed at the company he works at and that he would owe a big chunk at the end of the year.  I have had him put money back all year getting ready for tax season.  In fact, I told him he could owe as much as $5,000.00 and that I would not help him out just to make sure he would save money.  The CPA was so happy that he would not be shocked.  In fact, he really doesn't owe nearly as much as I thought he would.  I told her he would be happy with the amount, and that I would make sure the money was available on payment day.  

Once I hung up, I called and told the oldest.  He said "No problem."  

So tax season is almost over here.  I still don't know how my return will turn out, but the youngest, is good, the oldest has the money he owes, and one return will get some money back just in time for the Cottonwood Arts Festival and I think I will have enough to save for the Plano Quilt Show in August.  

Not a bad tax season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad that it went smoothly and that you can anticipate getting a little something back.