Saturday, April 23, 2011

Let's Finish Year 51 Before We Get to 52 - Volume Three - We Come Back

We walked back to the downtown Carrollton DART rail station from The Old Craft Store and discovered that we could have gotten to downtown without having crossed Beltline Road like we did when we arrived, however to do so we would have to go up.  Now I was heading for the stairs when Loni pushed the button for the elevator, and I was like "Really... You want me to get in there?'  I am sure she didn't want to stress her foot out on the stairs since she is being treated for plantar fasciitis.  I got in the elevator with her, yes, I could have taken the stairs, but I joined her, but I knew it would smell like urine and disinfectant and I wasn't wrong.  I hate that smell!  I prayed all the way up (and it wasn't a long ride) that we would not get stuck in there, and we didn't.  I also did not get sick, which was a possibility.

It was windy up there waiting for the train, but at least it was boiling hot, or raining.  Once the Green Line came back it was a very peaceful trip back to the West End station without a lot of people watching to do, so I looked at the art work at each station.  Some of the stations have stunning art work, others ..well, not so much.  

Once at the West End station it was people watching time again, and another though of "What is it about me?"  Loni and I were sitting there and I saw this woman coming down the sidewalk, and I just knew she was heading right for me.  She plopped down in the seat next to me and asked if either of us could give her a dollar for the train. I told her I did not have any cash, and she asked if I had any change, and I said "no."  So she got up and walked off.  

Now during this exchange I have noticed that a very odd looking young man is eying me and he has a handful of those plastic cross-stitch crosses, but since I am in conversation with the woman he walks on.  I know I will need to keep a watch out for him. Sure enough, as soon as the woman is gone he is coming back towards me.  I told Lonit to start acting like we were in a deep conversation.  We both start lowly chanting the same thing to each other, can;t remember what right now, but it made us laugh.  I was glad when he crossed to the other side of the station. More volleyball people were getting on and off the trains, and I was having fun watching the people on the other side of the tracks, when our train finally came.  

The Red Line back was crowded, but Loni and I were able to get a seat together and it thinned out pretty fast.  It was an uneventful trip back to the Parker station, during which I asked Loni if we should just give our passes to someone there since they were good until 3:00 A.M.  She said she didn't know why not.  

Back at Parker station, there really wasn't anyone waiting to get a ticket so I kind of forgot about it, until there was a man that stopped us in the parking lot to ask if either of us had a ticket we could give him.  I gave him mine, only to watch him run in the opposite direction of the train station, which confused me.  However, as Loni and I were driving off  I saw him going back to the station with a backpack so I guess he just needed to go get it before he left.  

Loni gave me her ticket as a keepsake.  Here is the proof that I finished this part of the "Year of Daring."

I had a grand time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, there are places in Dallas that it is adviseable to pretend like you do not see the people. Downtown was always a favorite people watching place for me when I did my PR internship with DART.

Glad that you were able to finish your year of daring; wish that I could have been there with you.

Cheryl said...

Me too sweetie. Don't worry, we will have many more adventures yet to come. I am really looking forward to October in Austin with all of us together. We might need to invest in some Depends, because I am sure there will be lots of laughter.