Sunday, July 1, 2012

Alaska Cruise - The Perfect Ship for Mama

Our Alaskan cruise was aboard Holland America's ms. Statendam. 

When we decided to do this cruise, I told Loni and Mina my budget and said make it work.  Loni found a Holland America cruise/land tour that fit everyone's budget.

This was the perfect first cruise for me.  It was full of super seniors, very few children, and therefore not loud or obnoxious.  Or least it wasn't until we got on board.  

The cabin was very spacious.  The staff was incredible.  I loved meeting so many new super seniors, and hearing their stories.  

Walking around deck after meals and before bed became one of my favorite past times.  I tried to take the stairs as much as possible and quickly found my favorite places on board.  Here is a list of my favorites:
  •  The Mix.  A bar area with a good guitar player/singer who knew songs I liked, and had a wonderful bartender named Rex. Rex and I became buddies and shared many stories before the week was over.
  • Crow's Nest.  DJ Mark, a Houston boy, played good music.  I enjoyed going up there and visiting with the regulars, and dancing in my seat.
  • Lido Deck. A great place to sit and play Gloom and watch the sea.  You just had to be careful when looking towards the pool and spa. You never knew what you might see stepping out of one of those areas.  Sometimes it could be quite frightful.
  • Tea Time in the Dining Room.  3:00 P.M. was tea time and it was quite enjoyable. The youngest loved the scones.
The other thing about this cruise line was their sanitary standards.  There were Purell stations all over the ship and there were attendants as you got on and off ship, and went in and out of dining areas to tag you with a Purell like hand sanitizer.  The Captain reminded us constantly to wash our hands to the Happy Birthday Song, and the first couple of days in the buffet line they had it so you could not even get a glass of water by yourself.  Everything was handed to you by staff.  Mama liked that!

I would definitely cruise Holland America again.



No comments: