Saturday, July 14, 2012

Too Much Daylight

I could never live in Alaska.  I need it to be dark to sleep, and after we arrived in Mt. Alyeska it just did not get dark.  There would be about two hours of dusk, but no darkness.

This picture was taken when I was out walking on Deck 6 aboard the ms. Statendam one evening, it was the last time I saw the moon the entire trip.

Alaskan Moon
The first night at the Mt. Alyeska Resort in Alaska I thought I was going crazy.  I couldn't sleep because of the sliver of light coming in around the curtain. I kept getting up and looking to see if there was a light shining outside the window, but it was just the sky.  I hadn't noticed this aboard the ship because we had an inside cabin. Even though I would walk around the deck around midnight sometimes, it just didn't register to me that it wasn't really dark.  It freaked me out in Mt. Alyeska to look out the window at 3:30 a.m. and I could see the ski lift on the mountain.  So whereas I enjoyed being able to walk around outside and enjoy myself late at night, it was not optimal for my sleeping. 



      









No comments: