Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Mix ~ Aboard the ms. Statendam

One of my favorite places aboard the ms. Statendam was The Mix.  A lounge bar with a wonderful bartender named Rex.  

Rex ~ The Mix ~ ms. Statendam

Rex was a really nice guy and his girlfriend, Vanessa, worked in the Crow's Nest.  I would stop to see Rex around 8:00 each night to listen to Theresa, the guitarist, and have a drink, before heading upstairs to the Crow's Nest.  Rex would send Vanessa messages through me. A coupe of nights Mina and I met for a drink.

Me, as I get ready to go see Rex.
I would challenge Rex to find me a new drink each night with the following rules: had to have hard liquor and could not be sweet.  By the end of the week Rex was starting to sweat it and was doing research before coming on shift to see if could find something new for me.  A couple of nights he had it easy because the special of the night would suit me, but then they started being sweet drinks. 

One night Rex made me a drink that they drink at parties below deck called a YingYang with 7 liquors.  It was good but a little too fruity.  

The last night of the cruise was my favorite.  My first drink was a daiquiri, then a margarita with a little extra tequila.  I then went up to the Crow's Nest, but before the evening was over I went back to see Rex.  I wanted another drink, but something different.  He decided to make me something with champagne, but when he put a sugar cube in it I became suspicious.  He added a few more things and I tried it but not very enthusiastically.  I did not like it at all, and it didn't take long for Rex to realize it.  He started laughing. He then made me a grapefruit cosmo.  I will admit to having four before going back to my room.  Good thing I didn't have this drink at the beginning of the cruise.

Pink Grapefruit Cosmos

2 Lime Wedg
es
1/8th Grapefruit

Hand press the fruit with a muddler and add ice
Add the following:

1.5 oz Vodka
1.5 oz House made sour (1 part fresh lemon juice, 1 part fresh lime juice, 2 parts simple syrup. Simple syrup = 1/2 cup sugar to 1 1/2 cups water).
1.0 oz Cranberry juice

Shake and strain into martini glass
Garnish with grated grapefruit zest over top of drink

I told Rex I would "miss him most of all."


No comments: