Sunday, July 1, 2012

Alaska-Salt Lake City Airport-Mama Does Not Scream and Yell

My oldest son graduated college on May 19.  The afternoon before we left for Alaska.  As part of his graduation gift I bought him a nice new camera that was a little pricey, but he loves to shoot pictures and it was one of his dad's hobbies so I am a sucker when it comes to that stuff.  

It took him a while to decide what camera he wanted, so he only had it a couple of days before we left for the trip.  The night before when we were packing he kept playing around with the camera and I kept saying "Put in it your carry on and leave it."  Bet you can tell what is coming.

We are at the Salt Lake City airport.  The boys are sitting in chairs and Loni and I are up at the counter because our boarding passes indicate that I have not been assigned a seat, and I want to make sure I have a seat and it is next to Loni and not some crazy acting pilot.  We find out that the plane has been switched to a smaller plane and there are some seating issues, but because we are a family of four all over 18 it is resolved quickly and Loni and I are seated together with the boys not far behind us.

Loni then goes to walk around a bit and I go back to where the boys are so I can watch their stuff if they need to go to the restroom or get something to eat.  When I arrive back at the seats my oldest is digging through his carry on and acting a little crazed.  I ask what is wrong.  He can't find the new camera.  He has left it at home.

This is where I could have gone off and really thrown a fit about how he should have left it alone, etc. but I just told him it was a good thing his boss loaned him his and that I have two myself. He continues to go on and on about it and then makes the mistake of saying that he got the camera just for the trip.  Now I am trying to hold my temper and keep the trip on a happy note, but that statement really makes me mad.  I had to come back with "Well if that is the only reason you go the camera, I can send it back as soon as we get home."  That seemed to do the trick.  He calmed down some and I told him to let it go and not let it ruin the trip.  We had cameras.

We settled down and met two very nice people from a town not far from us that were going to be on our cruise.  Our time in Salt Lake City came to a close and we boarded our plane to Vancouver.

I was very proud of how I did not scream and yell.  I was determined it would be a good trip.  Fortunately the rest of the day was pretty much how a travel day should go. We made it through customs and to the ship just fine.  I enjoyed the bus ride from the airport to the ship because there were beautiful flowers blooming and the architecture of the houses was fascinating.  I think Vancouver is a place I would like to spend a couple of days walking around and meeting people.


No comments: