Saturday, July 14, 2012

Shopping in Skagway, Alaska ~ My Favorite Port

The third port on our Alaskan cruise aboard Holland America's ms. Statendam was Skagway. Skagway was my favorite city we visited in Alaska.  The city was in a beautiful setting and felt more laid back than Ketchikan and Juneau when walking in and out of the shops. 

Since our excursion for the day was in the afternoon, the boys and I headed into town early because I wanted to hit the quilt shop and the oldest wanted to shoot some photos.  

The Rushin' Tailors Quilt Shop was a very well stocked, friendly store.  It was a good thing I had the boys with me as I needed help carrying my packages back to the ship.  I bought kits, fabric, and gifts. We didn't get to do any more shopping that trip into town because we had to eat lunch and get ready to go on our excursion.

Spirits of the Bright North Quilt Kit

Totemic Medallions Quilt Kit
Original art by Alaskan Tlingit artist, Tommy Joseph. 

Pattern by Lisa Moore of Sitka


When we returned from our afternoon excursion, the youngest and I returned to town for some more sightseeing and shopping.  There were several shops with artwork and jewelry from local artists.  I really enjoyed meeting some of the shop owners and talking to them and learning about their lives in Alaska.

I had a lot of fun in a jewelry/gift shop.  I bought a totem ring and a turtle Christmas ornament in that shop.

Totem Ring View
Totem Ring View
Russian Turtle Ornament

No comments: