Saturday, July 14, 2012

Helicopter to Meade Glacier ~ Alaska Excursion

The one excursion I wanted to do more than anything in Alaska was a helicopter ride and walk on a glacier.  I chose to take this excursion out of Skagway to the Meade Glacier.  I am so glad I chose to take the ride out of Skagway.  Our weather for our helicopter day was perfect.  In fact, our guide said it was the first day they had been able to fly over the mountain instead of through the river bed.  It had been very rainy before that day since the season had started.  All the helicopter excursions in Juneau the day before had been canceled due to the weather.  I felt very blessed. 

The boys and I had never been in a helicopter before.  Our pilots were wonderful, the views were spectacular, and the experience of walking on a glacier is indescribable. 

Excursion Helicopters

Inside the helicopter
View from helicopter as we climbed the mountains to get to Meade Glacier.


We land on Meade Glacier.



The boys on Meade Glacier.

The oldest and me on Meade Glacier.

The youngest on Meade Glacier.

The boys next to a large crevasse on Meade Glacier.

My youngest and me on Meade Glacier.


Me on Meade Glacier


 You can it is me, I have green gloves!

I am walking on a glacier!
Atop Meade Glacier.
Crevasse on Meade Glacier.  You don't step on the snow covered parts as they made have holes under them.

Looking down into a crevasse on Meade Glacier.
Flying up the river back to Skagway
About to land back in Skagway, Alaska





No comments: