Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 1 of Birthday Celebration Weekend, 2012

The boys are both home this weekend to celebrate my oldest's and my birthday next week.  

Now I have really wonderful boys who are very good about doing anything I ask them to do around the house, but it is extra wonderful on my birthday weekend and Mother's Day weekend because they do anything I ask without complaining.  They came home to a list this weekend.  

This morning we got up early to go the Art in Bloom on the McKinney Square.  After the late night run to IHop, no breakfast was required, so we were able to get out of the house at the designated time.  

I will be the first to admit that Art in Bloom was a huge disappointment, but we did see some interesting characters. After walking around the square for about an hour we had seen it all and were ready to leave.  I chose to drive out of the downtown McKinney area by going by my  co-worker's house so I could show the boys she lives with her wonderful husband.  As we drove by, my friend and her husband were out in their driveway so I stopped so the boys could meet her husband, plus she had never met my oldest.  We all chit chatted for a few minutes before the boys and I hit the road again.  

We had already planned to have lunch out, but it was still too early, so I headed over the Lowe's and purchased the dirt and roses I needed to turn our turtle pond into a rose bed.  Now the youngest had the chance to really grumble when he picked up the bag of cow manure and it was all wet and nasty, but he didn't, he just asked if I had something to put down in the back of the van.  I was very happy at the checkout lane to find out that the gift card I had totally covered my purchases.

The next stop was lunch at San Miguel's, my favorite Mexican restaurant.   We had a wonderful meal, and great conversation.  As we were leaving the owner asked the oldest how old he was now.  My oldest explained he was about to turn 22 and then the owner said he thought that was about right because they were getting ready to have their 20th anniversary of the restaurant and he had watched the boys grow up.  I can't believe that it has been 20 years since I have been eating at that restaurant!

We came home after the restaurant and the oldest finished the tax work for me while the youngest planted my new rose bed.  Then the youngest made my Red Velvet cake using my mom's recipe while the oldest finished fixing my phone.  Once all the chores were done I introduced the boys to Twin Peaks, and then they had their friend over and I spent the rest of the evening watching television, hand quilting and baking my oldest an apple pie.

It was a great celebration day!


No comments: