Saturday, April 21, 2012

Skype? YIKES!

The other night my phone date called me earlier than we had planned, in fact he called about five minutes before I had to leave to go to a night meeting at work.  I told him I only had a couple of minutes and he apologized but he was really excited about something he just discovered...Skype.  Did I mention he is a technophobe, and is a little behind in what is out there in the computer world? Evidently his roommate Mark, who is responsible for Randy coming back into my life and thinks "I owe him big," had installed it for Randy that afternoon so we could have a better "date."  I told Randy that I had Skype on my old computer but had not installed it on my new one.  I then told him I had to leave or I would be late and we would discuss it later.

I have to say the minute he said "Skype" I freaked out. In no way am I ready for that!  As I was driving back to work I kept say "No Skype, No Skype, No Skype."

Later during our phone date I broached the subject with Randy.  I told him that I just didn't think I could take the pressure of Skype yet in this relationship.  I explained that I would have to have my hair, makeup and clothes just right and that even then I would be freaked out. I told him I wasn't ready for a such a commitment.  He started laughing.  He said that after he had talked to me he went into the bathroom and saw himself in the mirror and since he had been out wearing a hat all day he noticed the horrible case of "hat hair" he had and started worrying about me seeing him that way.  I started laughing.

We decided that we came from an era when dating meant dressing up and looking your very best for the person you cared for, and that we were not ready for Skype.  I cannot tell you how relieved I was by his willingness to give the idea up so easy.  I think Mark is disappointed.

Even thinking about using Skype when I look my very best makes me say YIKES!  This man hasn't seen me since 1980, I looked so much better back then. LOL

No comments: